Regardless of your journey, breastfeeding is a topic that brings up a lot of thoughts, emotions and memories. Whether you’re strictly breastfeeding, formula feeding, or a mix of both, THAT IS AMAZING! Way to go, Momma – you’re feeding your baby and that’s the main goal!! It’s such a personal experience and there is no right or wrong way to do it. Fed is best and every mom has to make a decision that works for them and their family.
Alright, so here’s what I learned, and the best tips, tools and resources I used. I’m no expert but happy to share my experience of breastfeeding both of mine for 5 months…I hope it’s helpful!
BREASTFEEDING MUST HAVES
When I was pregnant with Navy I had SO many questions about breastfeeding and turned to all my mom friends for answers! A lot of them recommended reading Latch. I read it as a new mom and re-read it with Indie. It’s a really fast, easy read about breastfeeding basics and a great place to start! While my experiences breastfeeding Indie and Navy were not identical, having done it before I knew more of what to expect the second time around. Here are my must haves:
- Nursing bras & tanks: You’ll likely be breastfeeding and/or pumping every couple of hours in the beginning, so easy access with all tops and bras is a necessity. My favorite nursing bras are Bravado and I love Hatch nursing tanks!
- Nursing pads: When you’re nursing you’ll frequently leak milk. These nursing pads are great options to slip into your bra.
- LaVie Lactation Massager: I’ve seen such a difference using this while breastfeeding. It helps improve my milk flow significantly!
- Warm breast pads: INSTANT RELIEF for breastfeeding! They warm sore breasts, help speed up milk flow and loosen blockages + clogged ducts, which can be really painful! If you don’t have these jump in the shower and it has the same effect!
- Nursing pillow: This will be so helpful during feedings to support your little one and make you more comfortable too – this is my absolute favorite nursing pillow… it’s SO soft!
- Milk storage freezer bags: If pumping you’ll want to save as much milk as you can in between feedings. I like these because they can be stored laying flat or standing up. This freezer storage container also helps keep frozen breastmilk organized by date.
- Silverette Silver Nursing Cups: These are amazing to help heal sore nipples. They’re made of natural silver, do wonders for healing/preventing cracked nipples and are meant to heal them in between feedings. Alternate between these and nipple balm.
- Nipple balm: An absolute must! While I have’t announced this yet, for over a year now I’ve been working on developing MY OWN line of nipple balm, stretch, and scar formulas, which I’ve used through my pregnancy with Indie and can testify to the results myself =)) I could talk about it for hours and I can’t wait to share more about it SOON. In the meantime, I’ve been using Everdene’s nipple balm.
With both kiddos I started pumping at 2 weeks and I feel like it helped me put back a lot of milk from the start. Initially I pumped and fed from both sides but around month two my left side stopped producing so I was feeding and pumping only from my right side for the next couple of months. It must be my dominant side because the same thing happened with Navy!
Investing in a really good breast pump makes a huge difference. Choosing a breast pump is really specific to your needs and there are SO many options to consider. This article is a great resource for finding the best pump for you, this site is really helpful to breakdown different types of breast pumps, and this one goes through the pros and cons of popular pumps.
With Navy I used the Medela pump and I really liked it! It gets off a lot of milk and is really effective. If you’re not worried about it being cord free then it’s a great pump. After breastfeeding the first time around I learned that having a hands free, cord free, and travel-friendly pump would’ve been my preference. Since I planned to pump at work with Indie I switched to the Elvie pump and loved how it’s hands free, cordless and silent!! Since it sits in your bra, it definitely takes a bit to find the right one because the fit on everyone is different. I did notice it did leak from time to time but once I figured out what bra worked best for me it was ok.
My biggest recommendation is for sure get the Haakaa – it’s small, portable and really affordable. I’d throw it on after feedings and I frequently fed Indie on one side while using the Haakaa on the opposite. I would get off about 3-4 oz of extra milk, which adds up over time!
I had a similar milk supply with both kids but I was able to start building my breastmilk storage sooner the second time around. I definitely tried a few things to boost my supply with Indie and saw a slight difference:
1. Placenta Encapsulation: I decided to have my placenta encapsulated because I heard that taking placenta pills can increase a mothers’ milk supply. I took about half of them and stopped – I personally couldn’t tell a difference in my supply like I was hoping but I did notice support in my postpartum recovery and healing. It’s hard to say with confidence I saw results because there is no evidence-backed research to fully support eating your placenta during postpartum, but to each their own. I talked to my doctor about it and here’s a great article to reference if you’re interested.
2. Lactation Cookies: I became obsessed with Miracle Milkookies while breastfeeding and found any excuse to eat them! They also have a Klean cookie which is dairy free, gluten free, soy free and vegan – all of their flavors seriously taste amazing!
3. Brewer’s Yeast: I started putting it on everything – smoothies, granola, oatmeal and noticed a slight boost when I was consistent with incorporating it in my diet.
Typically I put back about 25 oz per day outside of Indie’s feedings. I bought a small, deep chest freezer and stored about 800 oz by 3 months. Listening to my body and with work picking up, I started introducing a little bit of formula and from there feedings have been a mix of pulling from the freezer and formula. I feel really great about the HIPP formula we are giving Indie now and it was a really seamless transition for us.
We followed Moms On Call schedules with both kiddos. So many mom friends recommended this program when I was pregnant with Navy and no joke she was sleeping through the night by 4 weeks (and Indie 6 weeks)! The suggested sleep/daytime schedules adjust as your baby grows so it makes following along really easy! We are in the 4-6 month schedule with Indie now but sharing the 0-4 week schedule we followed with him when I started breastfeeding:
0-4 week schedule
Wake between 6 and 7am and feed
9:00am: Feed for 30 minutes regardless when the baby ate last – playtime for the next 20-30 minutes
9:45/10am: Sleep (as close to 2 hours as possible)
12PM: Feed, even if you have to wake the baby – playtime for the next 20-30 minutes
12:45/1pm: Sleep (as close to 2 hours as possible)
3pm: Feed, even if you have to wake the baby – playtime for the next 20-30 minutes
3:45/4pm: Sleep (as close to 2 hours as possible
6:00pm: Feed – playtime for the next 20-30 minutes
9:30pm: Nighttime sleep
37 responses to “BREASTFEEDING”
Breastfeeding is such a special and bonding moment between mommy and baby!! <3
Thanks for the blog loaded with so much information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for.
Your article is very useful, the content is great, I have read a lot of articles, but for your article, it left me a deep impression, thank you for sharing.
I was reading your article and wondered if you had considered writing an ebook on the subject. It would immediately sell thanks to your writing. You have exceptional writing skills.
Nice Article! Dear
Thank you for sharing this information. Watch TV Shows, Movies It’s really helpful to me.
Check out fun activities, food trucks and the Nissan Heisman House. Us Buckeyes know a thing or seven about that trophy.
Fake Yeezy Sand
Thank you for sharing this information. Entertainment It’s really helpful to me.
Thank you for sharing this information. Podcast It’s really helpful to me.
You should be very happy to be with your baby, I think you are very lucky.
The every mom has to make a decisions that works for them and their family.
Breastfeeding is the best way to feed a baby. Breast milk is the perfect food for babies, and it contains all the nutrients they need to grow.
Breastfeeding lowers the risk of infectious diseases and allergies in babies, and it can also reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease in mothers.
It can also help with weight loss after birth, reducing postpartum depression, improving a mother’s bond with her baby, and lowering a mother’s chance of developing breast cancer.
Harvesting financial happiness together Giving away money is as easy as giving away for free. Enjoy great cash prizes now at PG, a website with over 200 3D video slot online games available to fans. Betting 24 hours a day and there are also free game reviews. Without having to pay for any service or service fees, you can come to study and find different ways. to win the game Practice playing before investing in real games with us.
Get thousands of Hindi Songs Lyrics by various Indian artists. A comprehensive list of even the best-known singers and composers of Romantic songs would be a large order. So, we list here some of the most popular songs in this post.
We are the best online provider of Punjabi Lyrics Videos with Lyrics.
Such an interesting article for a beautiful day like today, thank you for your effort to create such a useful article
The best quality stock game in the world. Slot games that will give you happiness It is a slot game that can make you money continuously without stopping. That is the slot game of PG SLOT camp itself. Stop to sit and find the slot game itself. Would you waste your time doing it with us to find the best slot games because It’s us and the best for slot players.
Nice Articel by https://anthonybilders.com/
The information in this article helped a lot
performance Learn how conversations can build a high performance and give great ideas. สูตรบาคาร่าฟรี
Required Ive been working for months already and im still gathering my thoughts on how will i finish my projects so i thank you sincerely. Hope that you could notice message. Keep it up. You can also check and try mine. สูตรคาสิโน
experience and work of others just to have a justification of your outcome. Great day dude. ค่ายเกมสล็อต
time This is the reason and sign to Look outside the box of your ideas. To look on beyond the experience and work of others just to have a justification of your outcome. Great day dude. สมัครสล็อต
View Logo Designing Dubai useful information including company employees, their email, social media, address, and much more. For Logo Design Dubai Visit here logodesigningdubai.ae
The mother is always the one who can cover for and care for the children.
This is really an informative article.It consists of many useful pieces of information about breastfeeding.It is well-written thus can be understood easily.
The relationship between mother and the baby cannot be described in words.This article increases the love for mother in our hearts.
I just wanted to let you know that I just came across your website and I found it very interesting, providing me with a lot of valuable information.
Such a great information provided by this page, please refer
I really like the way that you have expressed yourself. There is a lot to be admired from this post. You might want to click onTop Gun Jacket Tom Cruise
This article is full of many interesting details about breastfeeding. It’s well-written, so that even the most complicated concepts are easy for anyone to understand. The relationship between a mother and her baby cannot be described with a single word.
Sometimes 9GAG shares such a hilarious memes, that I can stop laughing, srsly you should see how funny their jokes are.
What friendly community this forum has, people are always eager to help you no matter what.
Be sure to get your hands on the most recent and functional DBD codes. If you need some guidance choosing a murderer in Dead by Daylight, you may consult our tier list for that game.
Drift Boss is a famous drifting game. In the game, you will have the opportunity to control your car on endless roads full of difficult turns and collisions. The game sounds simple but it takes a lot of practice to be able to drift well around corners. Join the game now to prove that you are the best racer and score the most points.