Floral Ice CubesFood
I got the idea to make floral ice cubes from The Inspired Home – flowers always brighten my day, and this is the perfect detail to add something extra to a summer picnic or social distance cocktail hour with friends. The hardest part about this is getting your flowers to be clear in the cubes! I’ve shared a few tips below I found helped with placement and clarity.
This is a great activity to do with a little one – and takes almost no supplies! Just a few quick notes as your prepping items for your floral ice cubes…make sure your flowers are edible and that you’re using distilled water! Also, if you have a silicon ice tray, this works a lot better than plastic. The silicone is flexible and easier to pop out your cubes when you’re finished. Also, the plastic trays can scratch your cubes and make them cloudy.
- Silicon Ice Cube Tray
- Edible Flowers
- Distilled Water
- Sauce Pan
Can’t wait to see what you guys do here!
1. Fill a sauce pan with distilled water and bring to a boil. Then, allow the water to cool to room temp. This helps avoid your cubes looking cloudy and keeps your ice from melting too quickly!
2. Cut or pull off the tips of your edible florals – Navy had a LOT of fun with this step :).
3. Fill your silicon ice tray with 1/4 inch of water and place in freezer for an hour to provide a base layer for your cube. This will make it easier to place your florals so they freeze in the center of your cube.
4. Take out your tray and place your florals in your tray. Be creative here! TIP: I found that less is more – I liked the cubes where I only used one or two flowers so it didn’t look too busy. I also think bright colors work best!
5. Place your tray back into your freezer for 4-3 hours.
7. Take out your tray, and you’re ready to serve! TIP: If your cubes look foggy when they come out, give them a quick rinse under cool water before placing them into your drink.